This easy-to-make breakfast dish is best prepared the night before but can easily be thrown together in the morning. Try substituting other cooked meats such as bacon or turkey. You can even experiment with different cheeses. Add blue cheese or feta crumbles or exchange the cheddar for a smoked mozzarella or provolone. The bread can be substituted for your favorite hearty grain or soft white. The possibilities are only as endless as your imagination.
Ham and Cheese Breakfast BakeRecipe by Lisa Anderson
- 8-10 slices sourdough bread crusts removed
- 8-10 slices honey baked ham
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese finely shredded, more as desired
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups milk
- ½ tsp. dry mustard
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 cups frosted flakes breakfast cereal crushed
- ½ cup butter melted
- Grease a 4.8 quart oblong baking pan.
- Lay slices of bread along the bottom of the pan. The number of slices needed depends on the size of your bread. Place equal amounts of ham on top and cover with cheese.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, mustard, paprika, salt, and pepper until well mixed.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over the bread, ham, and cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and put in the refrigerator overnight.
- To bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove aluminum foil and set aside. Sprinkle crushed frosted flakes equally over the top of the cheese.
- Pour melted butter over flakes and cover the pan with the foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and return pan to oven for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until egg is set through to the center.
- A standard 9×13 cake pan can be used. Baking time will change.
- Baking time will reduce if dish is not set in refrigerator overnight. Aluminum foil should be removed after 20 minutes. Watch closely to avoid burning.
- Standard corn flakes can be substituted for frosted flakes.
What's Your Reaction?
Lisa is the creator, editor in chief, and creative director of The Chews Letter magazine. Lisa's work has been featured in Designer Original, In Fitness and In Health, and several community magazines. Find her on Instagram: @lisaandersonmedia | Clubhouse: @landersonmedia Follow The Chews Letter: @thechewsletter.com