Lots of Flavor with a Little Kick!
Cashews are used to make everything from coffee creamer to whip topping to cheese; yes, even mayonnaise! The keys to this recipe are a little preparation and trusting your taste buds.
The paprika and jalapeño are optional but highly recommended. You will have a lovely mayonnaise for sandwiches if you remove all of the roasted vegetables and herbs. Increase the amounts of roasted herbs, go nuts by adding two heads of garlic or kick the heat up a notch with more jalapeños. The options are almost unlimited.
Roasted Garlic Jalapeño MayoRecipe by Lisa Anderson
- 1 head garlic
- ½ white onion small
- 1 jalapeño optional
- a few fresh sprigs of each thyme, rosemary, sage, and oregano
- avocado oil optional
- 2 cups cashews soaked 4 to 8 hours, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup aquafaba liquid from canned chickpeas
- 1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 cup rice vinegar sodium and sugar-free
- 3 Tbsp. prepared Dijon or yellow mustard
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika optional
- ¼ tsp. grey salt plus more for roasting
- ½ tsp. India black salt kala namak
- pinch of fresh ground pepper or to taste, plus more for roasting
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In an oven-safe dish, add a few fresh sprigs of thyme, rosemary, sage, and oregano. Distribute evenly on the bottom of the pan. Cut off the tip of the garlic head, exposing clove tops.
- Remove excess skin but leave a thin layer on cloves. Place garlic head on top of herbs in the center of the dish; cut side up.
- Slice small, white onion in half. Remove bottom stem. Leave outer layer of skin on. Add to dish; center cut facing up. Add the whole jalapeño.
- Pour avocado oil over garlic, onion, and jalapeño. Generously season with grey salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Cover dish and place in preheated oven for 20 minutes. When done, remove from oven leaving cover on. Allow to sit for 10 minutes. Remove lid and cool slightly.
- Add cashews, aquafaba, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, smoked paprika, ¼ tsp. grey salt, India black salt, and a pinch of fresh ground pepper to a high-powered blender (such as a Vitamix).
- Remove the cloves of garlic and onion from skins and place in blender. Deseed and remove the stem from jalapeño. Add the flesh to blender.
- Add a pinch of each of the herbs — leaves only.
- Blend on high until smooth (about 1 minute) —transfer to an airtight container, such as a Mason jar. Chill in the refrigerator for 1-hour minimum before use. Mayonnaise will thicken as it cools, and flavors will blend. Store in an airtight container for 6-7 days in the refrigerator.
Read the Full Article
Get the recipe for Chickpea Salad for a great way to use the recipe above.
What's Your Reaction?
Lisa is the creator, editor in chief, and creative director of The Chews Letter magazine. Lisa's work has been featured in Designer Original, In Fitness and In Health, and several community magazines. Find her on Instagram: @lisaandersonmedia | Clubhouse: @landersonmedia Follow The Chews Letter: @thechewsletter.com